By Kat Pestian, Akron Mom and Partner at Amp Strategy
I chatted with my mom this morning and asked her how she wanted to spend Mother’s Day (yes, it’s this Sunday, May 13).
Like a mom, she said, “Don’t worry about me. You’re a momma now! Spend the day with your family, and we can celebrate next weekend.”
Something shifts when you become a mom, and you see your own mom as sort of a superhero whose cape you’ve never noticed.
As a mom of a wild adorable toddler, I appreciate my mom more than ever. And this Mother’s Day my kiddo can bring me coffee in bed (hint, hint), but after that? I’m going to hang with my mom. She’s the rock of our family through the big things, stressful things, happy things, scary things—because she’s got this mom thing down on days I have no idea what to do.
And I’m thankful this city I love has lots of last-minute gift ideas (working momma over here!) to show my mom how much I adore her.
If you’re like me and need a few last-minute gift ideas to celebrate your momma, here are a few of my favorites:
1. Take a trip to Northside Market. You’ll find local entrepreneurs selling gifts like jewelry, plants, chocolate and bath salts—all under one roof!
2. Plan a date night for mom and dad to the Akron Civic Theatre (Dream Girls is coming in July!).
3. Enjoy the outdoors and plan a day trip with Ohio & Erie Canalway. Questing anyone?
6. Sign mom up for cooking classes in Hudson.
8. Visit the Countryside Farmers’ Market at Howe Meadow on Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon to pick up goodies from fresh fruit + veggies to soaps and jams.
9. Attend any event on summitlive365.com and get out of the house—alone. Yes, I said it. Let mom have some time alone. #SheLovesYou #ButNeedsHerSpace
To all the mommas, whether your kiddos can see your cape or not. Your fellow mom tribe sees it. And we’re proud of it.